Make the most of every moment –it’s the heart of our philosophy and mission at Capital Caring, a leader in hospice and palliative care in the DC metro region. We live our mission of improving the care of people facing life-limiting illness every day and are seeking a dedicated Clinical Supervisor to join our Largo, Maryland team!
Our Core Values include:
Employment with Capital Caring comes with great benefits - with flexibility to choose the health and welfare plans to best meet your needs.
POSITION SUMMARY: Functions as the Clinical Supervisor for a defined interdisciplinary team. Position is therefore responsible for the day-to-day triage of the Team activities of accepting referrals, assuring timely admissions, assigning patients to the appropriate team members and monitoring patient care as ordered on the interdisciplinary plan of care. Conducts the IDT meetings and supervises and supports clinical staff through evaluation and field supervisory visits. Assures ongoing development of the teams’ clinical skills. The Clinical Supervisor will assure quality care and compliance with state and federal regulations, CHAP accreditation standards, and the organization’s policies and procedures.
PERFORMANCE CRITERIA/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Within the philosophy, objectives and policies of Capital Caring, carries out the following essential functions:
Organization and Regulatory Compliance:
1. Ensures compliance with all areas of federal, state and local laws and regulations as well as CHAP accreditation standards, Conditions of Participation, and the organization’s standards’ of care, policies and procedures.
2. Communicates with the appropriate physician(s) regarding the patient’s condition, incorporating hospice expertise. Implements physician’s orders by documenting and communicating to staff, patient/caregiver or facility.
Utilizes appropriate resource services (ambulance, IV therapy, DME, inpatient facilities, and appropriate agencies) to implement orders.
3. Performs the introductory (90 day) and annual performance review of assigned team members in accordance to with the organization’s policy and timelines.
4. Assures that licensed practical nurses, nursing assistants and other care assistants work under the direct supervision of a registered nurse.
5. Supports and assures that clinical documents meet the organization’s patient care and reimbursement regulatory standards. This is accomplished through use of tools such as: the Admissions Audit tool, IDT meetings and documentation.
Provision of Quality Services:
6. Receives/triages inquiries from the Referral Center, staff, patients, caregivers, referral sources and the community. Performs telephone assessment to determine needs of the caller. Develops and implements a plan to address the needs by (but not limited to): instruction, dispatching appropriate staff to make a patient visit, or contacting a physician.
7. Assures that members of the interdisciplinary team have demonstrated the skills competencies to care for assigned patients.
8. Assists the Regional Manager as a liaison between Hospice and other professionals, including the AMD, community physicians, hospitals, nursing homes, and agencies.
9. Enhances the integrity and clinical practice of the team by providing them with a consistent role model, mentor, instructor and resource person.
10. Assumes responsibility for own professional growth and development in order to maintain and improve competence.
11. Evaluates own needs for support and uses identified system(s) to meet the need.
12. Develops new skills by participating in ongoing education and maintaining knowledge of current nursing practice through journals, literature review, etc.
13. Participates in quality improvement activities, QUAPI program and hospice sponsored in-service training. Serves on committees or teams as approved by the clinical supervisor.
14. Assigns and coordinates daily schedules of clinical staff, including PRN staff. Facilitates the provision of patient care services on a day-to-day basis, according to the plan of care. Works closely with team members to meet agency productivity standards and patient care needs.
15. Coordinates all interdisciplinary team services, including on-call personnel, in conjunction with the After Hours Department in order to assure 24-hour availability of patient care services.
16. Assists the Regional General Manager to assess the need for new staff and to recruit, interview, and make hiring decision in collaboration with Human Resources. Orients new staff to the team after HR and clinical orientations.
17. Coordinates with the Clinical Education staff (CORE) to assure that assigned staff attend and receive education programs.
Resource Management-Financial Stewardship:
18. Assures accuracy and timeliness of clinical staff day sheets and time sheets.
19. Collaborates with the Regional Executive Director to provide assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of team goals.
20. Assists the Regional Executive Director in creating the Region’s budget. Shares responsibility with the Regional Executive Director in adhering to the budget. Creates action plans to address and resolve budget variances.
21. Achieves expected productivity standard as defined by the organization and in alignment with best practices/the Capital Caring model.
For Long Term Care Facilities:
1. Coordinates with staff in contract bed facilities regarding the hospice plan of care, standing orders, etc.. Assists with the implementation of a plan to address identified needs.
2. Collaborates and communicates with the facility staff and CNA regarding patient status and the care provided.
3. Assures completion of appropriate documentation and inclusion of a copy in the facility chart.
4. Follows all rules and regulations of the facility.
LICENSURE: Licensure from the jurisdiction of practice - State of Maryland or Compact State Licensure.
EDUCATION: RN from NLN accredited nursing program. BSN preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year Hospice and/or Home Health experience. Four to five years of med surgical, oncology or home health experience preferred. Minimum of two years management experience strongly preferred.